"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

The Briartun Blacksmith Shop


In March of 2016 I introduced Thom Gilman, the blacksmith of Briartun. Since that time I’ve been wanting to make a blacksmith shop for him. I found a photo of a Prussian field forge over at “Der Alte Fritz Journal.” It was simple and I figured on making something similar to it. I could than add one of my completed homes to go with it. This would provide Thom a home as well as a place of work.

Fortunately for me, our son Todd has been gaming with some friends in North Carolina. One of them, Steve, is quite the model builder. Todd showed me some of the structures Steve made for their “konflikt 47” games. I was impressed with his work and asked if he could make a blacksmith shop for me. Just the shop, unpainted. I would paint and mount it myself. So, I sent him a copy of the photo. A very short time later Todd showed up with the blacksmith shop and some photos of the building process. 


This is the prototype shop to show scale size and basic layout.


The roof


The back and left walls


The assembled shop


A surprise for me, the prototype forge/hearth, 
sitting inside the shop.


A bigger surprise! The completed forge/hearth that lights up! 



The completed shop showing Thom Gilman, his apprentice Salem Poor and Thom’s new assistant, Symon Dew. Both men have plenty of work as new people begin to settle in Briartun.







Thank you to Der Alte Fritz and Chris. 



No comments:

Post a Comment