"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Slow Takes about post-a-day, beer, Mash and Cat Stevens

1. Jen’s “7 Posts, 7 Days” is a challenge for me. I like it because it forces me to think and then to write. Although this time I mixed up Saturday with Friday. So my post for “My Slow Takes” is a day off. A minor issue that is easily resolved.

2.  Cheers, “where everybody knows your name,” was a great sit-com. I watched every episode and then the repeats as well. Two of my favorite characters were Cliff Claven and Norm Peterson. Cliff new something about everything and was always educating those around him. My favorite anecdote was his explanation of the effect of beer on the human brain.

"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this.. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! ; In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

3. The Contilia Retirement Group, located in Essen Germany made a calendar with some of their seniors. This is my favorite, a reenactment from “Easy Rider.” The seniors are Walter Loeser, age 98, as Peter Fonda and Kurt Neuhaus, age 90, as Dennis Hopper. 


4. On February 28, 1983 the final episode of “Mash” aired. I remember that I watched it while in Roanoke, Virginia. I was calling on customers in Virginia and stayed at a friends house. Gerry and his wife Rose went out that night and I agreed to babysit. The final episode was well done. It even brought tears to my eyes as each person said their farewells.


Here 5  “Moonshadow” by Cat Stevens, from his album “Teaser and the Firecat.”


6. Dee and I watched The Lone Ranger” with Johnny Depp. The film is great and I enjoyed the humor. The representation of Tonto was different from what Jay Silverheels portrayed in the television series. But, the character fit well with Johnny Depp. It was a different kind of Captain Jack Sparrow.



7. The woodpecker has returned. He was last sighted in April 2012 and was successfully chased away by the Hawk. It’s time to bring the Hawk out of retirement.





Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment