"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Letter to My Sons

“He is expiation for our sins and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world.” 

Terry Murphy wrote on his blog today.

“Expiation is the means by which atonement or reparation is made. Christ went to the cross not only for me but for all. John states this clearly.

Repentance, what Jewish tradition has called teshuvah—“turning” or “returning”—entails nothing less than a radical transformation of ourselves and our relationship to others. It requires profound psychological self-awareness, which includes both recognizing our own moral blind spots and exploring the character traits that cause our moral lapses in the first place. It demands that we take full responsibility for our behavior, without hesitation or equivocation, and then take action to undo the effects of that behavior on others.”

Terry’s definitions struck me as an interesting way for me to look at my past and see how I have made changes during my 62 years. I keep trying to pass on to you my life experiences. I did not make all the right choices, I made wrong ones as well. It is the wrong choices that taught me to realize and change my outlook on life and Jesus. I hurt others and myself, my Christian values were superficial and although I prayed, my prayers were not from the heart. I have been changing and redirecting my journey and will continue to do so. It would be nice if you could not make wrong choices and your journeys were straight and free of obstacles. But wrong choices and impeded journeys are all part of life. So maybe I can reduce the number of wrong choices and enhance your journey. My blog, my website and my letters to you is my way of helping. Please take the time to read and reflect on my musings. Please ask me questions. Please open your hearts even more than you do now.

I don’t know how many more years I have here on earth. It is one of those things you start to think about when you get to my age. So every day is more important to me than it used to be. Every experience becomes a treasured memory. I want to watch you and your families grow and share in their adventures. I want to share my life experiences with them and answer their questions.

I love you all.
Dad  

No comments:

Post a Comment