1. I found this little fellow trying to hitch a ride to morning Mass on Sunday. He was gently removed and placed in the garden.
2. The Spiders moved to 3-2 after an exciting overtime game against Albany.
The Irish Lads were victorious in Chapel Hill against North Carolina. They are now 5-1.
3. On Sunday evening my good friend and miniature gamer Ed Backer, died in his sleep. He was affectionally know as the “Wookie” within our group. He had a big heart and a wonderful contagious and boisterous laugh. I will miss you my friend. Please pray for his soul and for his family.
|Russ, Ed and Bob at Historicon 1983|
4. I had “Mohs” surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma this week. The cancer was completely removed and now I’m recovering from the process. There is some swelling from the stitches, a little black and blue around the area and soreness from the stretching of the skin. The stitches will be removed next week and then everything will return to normal. At this point I could add some makeup to the other side of my face and then be ready for Halloween.
5. Beth DeCristofaro provided some thought on Malachi 3:19-20 in her, “You Will Be Given More” blog on Thursday.
“God’s message, delivered through Malachi, is chilling. He warns of the arrogant and those who turn from God being punished. This is a description of the isolation and dread we feel when we let our loved ones down, is it not? When we place ourselves and our own wants at the center of our being rather than placing God, the source of Life and Joy we experience incompleteness, futility, barrenness. We don’t really need God’s thunderbolts to punish us if we close ourselves off from God’s compassionate presence. It is as if we choose the lightning which strikes too closely.”
Life is not easy, but God provides the tools that we need to get through.
6. “October is a fine and dangerous season in America. a wonderful time to begin anything at all. You go to college, and every course in the catalogue looks wonderful.”
7. Gillian Welch - “I’ll Fly Away”
Go over to "This Ain't the Lyceum," where Kelly is hosting more takes.