"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, October 18, 2019

Ancestry, D&D Art & the Dish




**********

Today is “Indigenous People’s Day” in the United States. It is a change that was proposed back in 1977. In1989 South Dakota switched Columbus Day to “Native Americans’ Day. Soon afterward Berkeley switched to “Indigenous People’s Day.” More details at NPR’s website.

Canada also has a “National Indigenous Peoples Day.” They recognize and celebrate the cultures and contributions of the “First Nations, Inuit and Métis Indigenous” peoples of Canada. It is celebrated on June 21. My father’s side of the family is connected to the Métis people through my grandmother. However know one never talked about it. At the time they immigrated to the United States it was important to become an “American” and leave behind the French Canadian heritage.

**********

On Monday we had aeration and seeding completed in preparation of the spring. This helped last year and I want to make sure that whomever purchases our home appreciates the time and effort Dee and I have put into the gardening and lawn.

**********

Eric recommended that I watch, "Eye of the Beholder: The Art of Dungeons and Dragons."

Watching this great documentary brought back a lot of memories. I got into D&D when it first came out and played it for many years. When our sons were old enough we played the game and I even got Dee in a couple of games. (Really not her thing.) We still have many of the miniatures that we painted. I think Eric has most of them.
The great stories about the artists and their contributions to the game was far beyond my expectations. The amount of effort and creativity was not really appreciated during the years I played. We were just enjoying the game.
Thank you all.

Two Dwarves and a Dragon

These were painted over 30 years ago. Dwarves by Stephen & Dragon by Dad.

**********

We lost communication with our "television dish," error code 775.
So, I called the "television dish" company to get a technician out here to reset the dish. The process was interesting. 

The person taking my call asked me all the pertinent questions about the account number, whose name is on the account, what is my relationship to the account holder, the address, the telephone number, name of our first born, etc.. 
Then she asked me to go through the reset of the “receiver box” process. I explained that I already completed that task and discovered that error code 775 is showing. She said fine. There was a slight pause, figured she was going to get me a day and time the technician would show up. However, after a few moments, she advised me that she couldn’t send anyone out as my name is not on file. 

Excuse me! I went through this whole process, answered all your questions and now you tell me I’m not authorized to request a service call? 
“Yes sir,” she replied. 
So, I answered all the questions but now I have to have my wife call and go through this whole process again? 
“Yes sir, I’m sorry but those are the rules.” “Have a nice day and thank you for calling "television dish.” 

Next time I’ll call and tell them I’m Dee, but to excuse me as I have a cold.
 Fini.

**********

Bernard Cornwell's "Sword Of Kings," book twelve of "The Last Kingdom" series will be released in the United States on November 26, 2019.


**********

We listed the house this week and already had two showings. Waiting for feedback from those who looked at our home. 


Photo by Dee
**********

The Fleetwoods - “Come Softly To Me”



**********


Go over to "This Ain't the Lyceum," where Kelly is hosting more takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment