"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Making Creek Sections for Briartun


I have some creek sections that I purchased years back from TCS in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The company is no longer in business and I needed more. So, I thought I would try making my own.

The first thing was to figure out how many and what length I needed. So I laid out what I had, on the table, and came up with two 4” long sections, about 2" wide. For material I used 3/32 thick bass wood. The current sections are about 3/32" thick so would match pretty well. 
I cut a piece of bass wood 4” long and 2” wide. Then I drew the width of the water area to match somewhat with the existing sections. I also drew irregular lines on the outside edges so that the sections would match what I have.

After cutting the outside edges I applied some lightweight spackling. (It’s easy to shape and dries overnight.) I also made sure that the grass area was irregular to give the section  some dimension. 

Once the material was dry I applied paint to the water area and then the grass area. I was trying to match the existing sections so I didn’t add anything that wasn’t too different.

If I was making brand new sections there would have been more room for creativity. Adding stones, plants, etc.

I took some photos to give you an idea of my process. The last photo shows all the creek sections laid out on my table. 








The Creek with added sections




No comments:

Post a Comment