My Slow Takes
1. The French and Indian War in North America is a time in history I enjoy reading and gaming about. I purchased a new set of rules for that period while at Historicon 2015. I want to paint some figures and setup a scenario for the rules. I turned to “Wilderness Empire” by Allan W. Eckert, for some refresher history. This is probably the third time I’ve read the book and I still enjoy his style of writing. He has a website which shows his list of publications.
“The Wounding of General Braddock” by Robert Griffing
2. A poem for September.
"Autumn Is Here"
Pumpkins in the cornfields
Gold among the brown
Leaves of rust and scarlet
Trembling slowly down
Birds that travel southward
Lovely time to play
Nothing is as pleasant
As an autumn day!
Author: John Muir
3. The television series, “Falling Skies,” has ended. The invading aliens have been defeated and earth is ready to rebuild. I enjoyed watching the program and especially like actor Noah Wyle as Tom Mason. A history teacher who leads a group of people as they defend the planet earth. The other series Mr. Wyle starred in was “The Librarian.” This character was a historian as well, but his focus was protecting artifacts with the help of Judson, played by Bob Newhart.
4. My good friend Dick had a cochlear implant surgery procedure completed this week. He is doing fine and will be proceeding with the rehabilitation process to learn how to hear with the new device. I was not familiar with the device until Dick started explaining it to me and our friends. The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders has information on it’s website.
5. September 4, 1957, the Ford Motor Company showcased its new 1958 Ford Edsel. The car was a horrible failure and the Edsel company closed down after the 1960 model year.
This is a 1957 Edsel television commercial.
6. Bobby Bare - “Tequila Sheila.”
7. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!
Go over to "Fountains of Home,” where Christy is hosting more takes this week.