"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Slow Takes (Vol. 88)


1. I posted a note about sequester on Monday. It was addressed to the President and Congress but I haven’t received a reply from either one. I wrote emails to my three representatives. They did reply and thanked me for my comments. It seems that we are all in agreement. I feel better now that my concerns have been expressed but disappointed that our elected officials could not reach an agreement.

2. Dee and I watch Castle. I enjoy the series mainly because Rick Castle is a writer and Nathan Fillion is a great person for the part. The writers for the series provide exciting and humorous episodes. There is always a comment that Rick Castle comes up with that is quick-witted. If you don’t pay attention to what is going on, it could be easily missed. This weeks episode brought James Brolin is as Castle’s father. It was a good choice of actors and I look forward to seeing him again. 

3. I’ve been using the Mayo Clinic 20-20-20 rule when using my computer. “Every 20 minutes, take your eyes off your computer and look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.” It works well for me and I don’t feel the eye strain as I use to.

4. I found a countdown clock software package for my MAC called “FlexTime.” It has a 30 day trial period so I'm trying it out. So far it seems to be working well. Also trying two free Apps, “Alinof Timer” and “Time Out Free.” 

5. Monday I went out and pruned our crepe myrtle. It sits in the front of the house near the garage. I’m not a person who enjoys gardening. I prune it because it needs pruning. It grows fast and the branches love reaching out for the house. They're like fingers grasping for the siding and the window sills. I do like the beautiful white flowers which stay in bloom quite awhile. The job is not difficult, just time consuming. It is one of those spring yard preparations that starts the season gardening process.

6. Our church is hosting “A Busy Person’s Retreat” next week. I didn’t think too much about it until Dee started looking at her schedule and asking me how we could coordinate the two of us attending. On Sunday Father Shreve reminded us about the retreat and suggested that we attend at least one day. I read the outline and was not interested in the readings. That was a wrong decision, it is not what I have been working on lately. I’m supposed to be concentrating on Lent and what I can do to get closer to God. Dee’s reaction was automatic which is what mine should have been. Lord forgive me. We will be attending, together.

7. I enjoy coffee and have tried a number of different brands. My current brand, for brewing at home, is from Carytown Coffee. They are a local company that roasts and blends their own coffee. I like the “Brazilian Breakfast” blend. They put a dark Brazil roast together with a French roast and it is delicious.   

Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment