"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, February 8, 2013

My Slow Takes (Vol. 85)


1. There were 220 blogger posts on Jennifer’s site last week. I don’t read all of them, but there are 15 or so that I read on a regular basis. As the week goes on I’ll go back and read some others. The blogs are inspiring, humorous, heartwarming and what is more important, they bring the word of God into focus. Thank you Jennifer for allowing me to learn and share with these beautiful people. Thank you to all you bloggers for writing and please continue.   

2. Super Bowl is over and it was an exciting game, once we got into the second half. I wasn’t supporting any specific team although it was good that the Ravens won as this was the team our hosts were cheering for. This is our third year with our friends and we always enjoy the evening. Plenty of food, drink, and laughter.

The fans, less Roger who was taking the picture.

3. Sometimes we think that we need to do one particular thing correctly to please God. One thing above all others that will secure our religious belief and make us a good Christian. Tuck @ Denbigh Church of Christ wrote about this very issue and concluded that again it is a simple matter, but one that should be repeated so that we don’t forget.

“You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
The second is like it:* You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

4. I’ve been painting historical miniatures again. The photos below are of a Colonial artillery unit with supporting limber. These are Old Glory and Hinchliffe 25mm miniatures for the American Revolutionary period.   



5. My retirement luncheon was Tuesday. There was pizza, drinks, cookies and a retirement cake. The Project Manager and my Department Manager said kind things about me. It was an opportunity to sit and talk about old times and things that we are all looking forward to.


6. A short story on how Biscuit Hill Road, located in Rhode Island, got it’s name. It occurred in 1781 during George Washington's march from Newport, Rhode Island to Yorktown, Virginia. He was joined by Jean Baptiste de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau. Artist David R. Wagner has recreated it in a beautiful painting.
7. Tomorrow is our grand daughter Eryn's birthday. She will be eight years old. Dee is having lunch with her at school today. Dee put together 30 birthday party favors for Eryn to share with her school friends. Grandma Dee is always there to support her grandchildren. One of the many reasons I'm blessed to have her as my wife. 

The Birthday favor bag.
   
Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.



1 comment:

  1. Those miniatures are cool! I just like seeing people *make* things. I think what you like making is different for every person (writing and knitting for me, woodworking for my husband, glass-etching for my friend), but the longer I live, the more I'm convinced that creativity is just an essential part of being human.

    And that was way too philosophical for a blog comment where I meant to just say: cool miniatures! :D

    ReplyDelete