"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, January 11, 2013

My Slow Takes (Vol. 81)


1. Dee and I spent a few days in the Outer Banks with our friends Brenda and Lou. It was a relaxing time and Lou and I managed to walk the beach. 
We enjoyed dinner at a new restaurant, The Black Pelican. I had the prime rib while the rest of our group ate seafood. Excellent service and delicious food. I also enjoyed a pint of their Pelican Nut Brown Ale.  

Me & Lou after the beach walk.

2. Get well Jennifer, you and Joe are in my prayers.

3. Hallie at “Moxiewife” has put together a gift idea for Jennifer. Please consider helping.

4. The “Game” did not go as well as I would have liked. Thoughts of “Casey at the Bat” came to mind.

“The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the Irish twelve that night.” 

Notre Dame was the “underdog” and was unable to stop the ‘Red Tide” as they scored touchdown after touchdown.

“Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shinning bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But in the halls of Notre Dame there is no doubt,
For the Irish Lads went 12-0 and showed they weren’t beat out.”

A great season to be proud of. Thank you Irish!

5. Dee and I went to the Richmond Spiders basketball game Wednesday night. We played the Rhode Island Rams. The Spiders are missing their key forward Derrick Williams, so the rest of team stepped up and played an exciting game. It did get down to a Spider three point advantage with minutes to go.  The final score 64-61. It was a bit exhausting but we enjoyed every minute.

6. I have no New Year resolutions. It has never been one of those things that I did. Now, more than ever, I just work on my spiritual journey continually striving to be better.

7. Sunday was the Feast of the Epiphany, the arrival of the Magi to Bethlehem. I just finished reading a historical fiction novel that takes its ideas from this day. It is written by Lonon Smith and is his first novel.

The main character is Khefren, an Egyptian scribe living in Alexandria, Egypt. (I thought it was interesting that he was a scribe.) His employer is a Roman tribune, Gaius Duccius Aquila. Gaius gets him tied up with a Parthian Caravan consisting of some emissaries from Persia, Armenia and China. Some of the names may be familiar; Gaspar, Melchior, Baltasar, Arsaka and Shen Te. They travel to Israel where they come across Herod, Miryam and Yosef ben Yakov. The adventure is exciting and the characters interesting.  

I enjoyed the story but it is quite different from our teaching. Please remember that it is fiction and not for children. Read it with an open mind and heart. A free sample of the book is available at Lonon Smith’s website.

Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment