"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, December 14, 2012

My Slow Takes (Vol. 78)


1. Our family Christmas celebration was last Saturday. Dee and I hosted a Christmas brunch and everyone brought something to share. There was Dee’s famous egg and sausage casserole, Christina’s delicious hash-browns and Lauren’s special sweet potatoes and a Christmas fruit tree. We followed that with a variety of Christmas cookies, candies and apple and pumpkin pie. Yes, I’m sure there was also a few extra pounds added to our systems.

After desert, while we still have everyone at the table, we sing Christmas songs. One of my favorite is the “Twelve Days of Christmas.” This year I printed out each of the days on an 8 1/2x11 piece of paper and passed them out. As each day came up the person holding that day would hold it for all to read. It turned out to be more fun than I thought, especially when two of the days were backward.  

Lauren and the fruit tree
2. Handel’s Messiah by the Silent Monks. 


3. “Bishop Walter F. Sullivan, 11th Bishop of Richmond, died on Tuesday evening, December 11that his home in Richmond.  We commend him to Our Lord Jesus and ask your prayers for the repose of his soul and for the consolation of his beloved family and dear friends.”

4. I was asked the question, “what is your blog?” My friends and family know I write a blog and a journal. Sometimes they ask what I’m putting on the blog, probably concerned that their picture or “unusual” moment will be seen by the “world.” 

My journal is more personal and contains those things I don’t want to share with the world. It contains musings and pictures that my family will read after I’ve moved on.

My blog is for now, my platform for writing on just about anything. It’s an outlet for me to share and learn. An opportunity to reach out to other people all over the world. I write about God, my hobbies, my family, my friends. I comment on news articles, local and not so local events. I share my childhood heroes reminiscing of those values I learned from them. I connect with other bloggers, reading and taking advantage for their knowledge of writing. Praying to one day publish something for all to read.

5. Some unusual magic by French magician Yann Frisch. This is great!


6. This week I started the paperwork for my retirement. The start date of my next journey is February 22, 2013. The Project Manager, Stephen, whom I’ve worked for since 2001 was supportive of my decision. He said to make sure it is a new adventure and not a permanent seat from a rocking chair that sets on the front porch. I assured him it wasn’t.

7. I watched the “Premier Episode” of “Minor Revisions,” followed the Twitter notes and learned much about Jennifer and her journey. My favorite part was the evening with Dad, “amateur astronomer, engineer, wasp killer” and a wonderful person. Thank you for sharing him.  


Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment