"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Slow Takes (vol. 50)


1. The beach has been great! On Monday and Tuesday we had our good friends Pam and Tony with us. Two beautiful days of sharing and relaxing.

Our son Stephen and his family arrived Tuesday evening. The grand daughters and I walk the beach every morning. The walks consist of collecting sea shells, running through the surf and looking for sea creatures from the deep. This year we found a couple of stingrays and a jellyfish washed up on the shore.
This is my favorite vacation, relaxing and enjoying time with family and friends. I especially like sitting on the beach watching the pelicans fly over the waves in perfect formation, one behind the other. The soft breeze brings in the distinctive, delightful sea odor that seems to set my mind at ease. There is the soothing musical sounds of the surf and seagulls that lull me to sleep. What better place to have a quick snooze, read from my eReader or just enjoy talking with Dee.
I have coffee out on the deck of our condo before the beach walks. I complete my daily readings and prayers and spend time with God.
2. Wednesday morning’s devotional from Living Faith was from John 21:17. Jesus said to Peter, “Feed my sheep.”  Sr. Melannie Svoboda reminds us that Jesus did not say “Count them.”
This is interesting because when I’m doing hospitality ministry at Epiphany Church one of my responsibilities is to count people. This assures that we have enough hosts for Liturgy of the Eucharist. We do get involved comparing the number of those attending Mass to the success of our parish. It is not an incorrect thing to do, just part of being human. We do need to remember that Jesus did not set limits. He was bringing the Word to all who would listen. There was no forecast of numbers no quantitative objective.
One reading comes to mind, Matthew 18:20, “For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” These are the important numbers. Every Monday night at our group meeting we remind ourselves of this when we gather. Some nights we have nine or more and some nights we have five or six. We always meet, we always pray and we always share. Jesus is always with us.
3. Historicon 2012 is now open for registration. I’m putting together my list of games and will submit them this weekend. This year’s convention is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Just a short ride from Richmond which makes convenient for me. 
4. I’ve been painting figures this week but will not get them completed. Put some early 18th century eastern woodland Indians in my hobby box and have been working on them a little bit each day. There is no objective to complete them, just a chance to do some painting.
5. I watched the 2003 version of “Lion in Winter.” Patrick Stewart plays King Henry II and Glenn Close portrayed Eleanor of Aquitaine. It was different from the original movie which stared Peter O’Toole and Katharine. I enjoyed them both and was pleased with the chemistry both sets of actors had. In each version it was Eleanor and Henry that made the movie. If you enjoy historical drama, a touch of humor, some great dialogue and historical intrigue this is worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment