"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, January 27, 2012

My Slow Takes (vol. 34)

1. There were two exciting football games last Sunday. Although it was disappointing to watch a kicker miss a field goal close to the end zone. Remember that I moved down from Buffalo and have seen this situation before. Anyway, I did choose the Giants and now they face the Patriots. It will be a good Super Bowl.

2. The story of Jonah is an interesting one filled with miracles, disobedience and forgiveness.

The miracle is Jonah existing in a "great fish" for three days and then being deposited onto dry land. This is after he refuses to go where God told him to go. Then, after being re-directed back to Nineveh, he complains about God's forgiveness of the Ninevites. Jonah is not like other prophets in the Bible.  His problems are self inflicted and they are a result of his disagreements with the Lord.


The king of Nineveh repents immediately and tells his people to listen to the message of Jonah. The Ninevites are enemies of Israel, yet they listen and do as they are told. The message is similar to other stories of the Bible but is more of a satire. I find it quite interesting.  


3. Dee and I went to the University of Richmond men's basketball game this week. Their opponent was Fordham and we won. It was a great evening with friends.

I don't attend many basketball games so I found it interesting that there were ten men in suits guiding and coaching the team. You have a coach, three assistant coaches, two directors of basketball operations, an academic advisor, a strength and conditioning coach, an athletic trainer and finally the video coordinator. There is a lot more support for a team than I realized.

The other part of basketball is the number of "time outs" they have. I was a soccer referee and we didn't have "time outs." So I'm still amazed at this.


Me, Dee and Brenda

Me and Lou
4. This week I reached my 65th birthday, which happened to be the same day we went to the basketball game. I don't feel 65 and I am still working. It's interesting how fast the years passed by. I keep telling our sons to enjoy each moment.

I received telephone calls from all three of our sons. One sang "happy birthday" solo to me. Another sang with his sons and the third one called and left a message while we were at the game. Just a note, we are not a family of melodious voices.

Friends called and sent cards and I even received a birthday cupcake. This weekend the family will gather at our house for the celebration.

Thank you Lord for letting me be here. Thank you for my health, family and friends.

If it be your will, I would like to say longer and continue enjoying life.

5. Met with friends at Panera this morning. A second prayer group, although the format is still evolving. Each member present had prayer intentions which I have added to my prayer list.

This is a good group and I'm learning more about them each week.

Thank you Lord for new friends and please listen to our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment