"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, January 13, 2012

My Slow Takes (vol. 32)

1. Our grandson Conner took part in his Cub Scout Pack annual Pinewood Derby. I met him and his Dad Eric at the event Saturday morning. There are five Dens in the Pack. Tiger Cubs, Bears, Wolves, Webelos 1 and Webelos 2. Conner is in the youngest Den, the Tiger Cubs. His  car, "Lightning McQueen," took first place in his Den. His enthusiasm for this feat was, "can we go to Panera now?" So, we enjoyed brunch at Panera, returned to the derby and watched the other Dens race. At the end, the computer showed that Conner's car took 4th place overall.   


Conner's car is the red one with the "eyes"

The weekend didn't end there as Dee and I attended our grand daughter Isabelle's first gymnastics meet. She participated in four events, the bar, the balance bar, floor exercise and the vault. She took 2nd place in the first three but did not place in the vault. However her scores were high enough that she took 2nd place overall. She is twelve and has a little bit more enthusiasm than Conner.


These are memories that Dee and I will cherish. Thank you Lord for children who share their families with us.


2. “Patience is not a waiting passivity until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later and somewhere else. Let’s be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand.”


I borrowed this from Steve Givens , his January 8th blog. The quote belongs to Henri Nouwen.


My patron saint is Saint Francis De Sales and I have my favorite quote from him at the top of my blog. I have to work at patience every day and pray to St. Francis for assistance.


It is not easy but I make myself aware of my imperfection, similar to recognizing that I have allergies. My medicine for patience is concentrating on keeping calm, not rushing and working on my "inner peace." I am getting better.  


3. My brother in Christ, Victor, has made it through the worst part of his medical issues. This is an email from his daughter, sent out to our Cursillo family.

"Finally after SEVEN WEEKS in the hospital my daddy is coming home today!
Thank you all so much for all the prayers and support. I don't know what
we would do without such a wonderful community of family and friends. BUT
please please please keep the prayers going. This thing isn't quite over
yet. Now it's up to my family to take care of my dad full time, which is
going to be difficult especially since I have to go back to school :( and
there is still a very likely possibility that he will need surgery once he
gains back his strength. So thanks again everyone and thank you God! ?"



4. A great definition of a Cursillo weekend. 


"The purpose of going on a weekend is not to get more people active in the Cursillo movement. The purpose is to show you that God (Jesus) loves you & to fill you with the Holy Spirit when you to go back to your home, work, church, neighborhood, wherever you go, and help that environment change for the better, i.e., be a Christ-like environment."


5. This is Divisional playoff weekend for those of us interested in professional football. Two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday. I have already let Dee know that the games are on and to plan around them. Her team, Denver, plays Saturday at 8PM and my team, Green Bay, plays Sunday at 4:30PM.































No comments:

Post a Comment