"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 17)


1. My "4th Day" started one year ago, September 26, 2010. I am now a "Cursillistas." This past year has been uplifting both spiritually and mentally. I have learned much and continue to learn as each day passes. Thank you for allowing me to work in the vineyard so late in the day.

2. My eyes seem to be more important to me than when I was younger. I write more now and enjoy painting my historical miniatures. Both require concentration and I feel it in my eyes when I do too much. In addition I work at a computer all day and I know that doesn't help. 

I discovered the "rule for eyes; 20-20-20." Saw it on the news the other day. You spend 20 minutes working in front of the computer, then you look away for 20 seconds at an object or some sort of focal point 20 feet away. Simple, and it works! 

3. I attended a funeral for the mother of one of our close friends Judith. Her mother was 93 and was active all her life. It is hard to have family leave us. We want them around forever because we love them. Lord please help them through their time of mourning.

My Mom and Dad and Dee's Dad have taken the journey to Heaven. Dee's Mom is still here, healthy and enjoying life. She is approaching 90 but I keep telling her she will get on the Smucker's jar when she reaches 100. She irons my shirts every week and we enjoy a glass of wine together at dinner. I need to enjoy each moment she is here and make memories that will last my lifetime.

4. Technology is evolving faster than I can keep up with. Last February I purchased a Nook, only $149; less than three months later a new Nook came out. It is touch screen and only $139. Now Amazon is ready to release "Kindle Fire." And, probably we'll be seeing the Apple iPad 3 in early 2012. 

So I have to study all of the available information and decide what "technology tools" I need next. If you ask my wife she'll say none. But the tools are really cool and it's fun to do the research and at least think about them.

5. I am putting together the annual fall order for our Fair Trade Bazaar at church. This is the third year I have been handling the bazaar. I am blessed with great support which makes my job easy. There are some new products available for this year and I'm hoping people will like them.

The bazaar helps artisans and farmers throughout the world. We get products from Bangladesh, Cambodia, Ecuador, Ghana, India, West Bank, Mexico, Philippines, South Africa and Vietnam. There are more countries involved and more people to help. Check out the Catholic Relief Services website to learn more. 

6. Happy October 1st. Get ready for the fall foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment