"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Promise Land

Standing before the promised land Moses turned to Joshua and said, "It is the Lord who goes before you; He will be with you and will never fail you or forsake you. So do not fear or be dismayed."  Deuteronomy 31:7,8

I went to see "The Ten Commandments" back in the late 60's. The theatre was downtown and at the time was the only one with the new wide screen "Cinerama." The characters stood out much larger than I had ever seen before. Their impact on the story made a positive impression which remains with me today.


Today as I read Deuteronomy I can see Moses (Charleston Heston) standing beside Joshua (John Derek), his hand on Joshua's shoulder. The words flowing forth from a reassuring voice of a strong statured man. White hair blowing in the wind, an aura surrounding him. How can Joshua not believe. I can imagine that he is excited and perhaps apprehensive of what lies ahead. But his faith is strong and he leads the Israelites across the Jordan.


I don't have Moses standing beside me providing direction. There is no panoramic view of the Promised land stretched before me. I am here reading the morning paper and see stocks falling, credit rating dropping, fear, chaos and speculation. It is the Promised land in turmoil. But I will make it through because God is with me. I have placed myself in His hands. Yes, there is some apprehension because I don't know what His plan is. But I will follow it and I will be glad I did.    



No comments:

Post a Comment