"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, August 20, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 11)

1. Here is a quote from Aileen O'Donoghue who writes for "Living Faith."

"This kingdom isn't one in which no bad or sad things ever happen, but one in which the beautiful, the fun and the unexpected are given just as much importance, where it is recognized that our thoughts can make us more unhappy than our circumstances." 

So, when things are not quite going the way you feel it should be going just do an attitude adjustment. We can make our lives more enjoyable if we want to. Just be a child of God.


2. Last Friday night went to the James River Winery for their "Fridays On The Patio." Wine tasting, food, music and meeting new people. Our last visit was in August 2009, see my review "in vino veritas."


This year we took Dee;s Mom, who is my wine drinking buddy. She loved the wine tasting part and at one point when asking for another glass was told she had already been through the selection. I'm sure the young man was trying to be helpful by acknowledging she had tried everything. So she selected a bottle of the 2008 Montpelier Blush. I went to my favorite, the 2007 Cabernet Franc. 


The evening was perfect, mild temperatures, no rain and enjoyable music by the Sharon Rae North band. We met two young couples whom I shared my limited wine experience with. Kevin and Lisa and Jerome and Stephanie. Very nice and pleasant to talk to.


3. Please read "Thoughts of a Flawed Disciple." The timing for me was excellent. I needed some positive reinforcement trying to get through a nagging sore throat.


4. We're off to Buffalo for a few days to visit my sister and her family. We will be seeing Dee's aunt and uncle and some of her cousins. Somehow we'll squeeze in time with Phil and Lynne and Rich, Kathy, Walter and Sue. I am looking forward to the trip.


When we use to travel with the boys Dee always had games for everyone to get involved. It was a time before electronics. We sang songs, counted different colors of cars, played "I see" and read stories. The first electronic device I put in one of our vans was a small black and white television. It had an adapter that fit into the cigarette lighter. The only issue we had is that as I drove the station signal would change. It made it difficult to get interested in a program that you only watch for 20 minutes. 


Now we have our GPS, iPod, laptops and da' Nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment