"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, July 8, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 5)

1. This year we had our 4th of July picnic on Saturday the 2nd. It allowed for our family from Maryland to drive without getting caught up in the holiday traffic.


The group was large, 18 adults and 13 children. I like to call this "controlled chaos," which is a good thing.


Dee had plenty of food and as always had a number of games for the children. All of which involved water balloons. With temperatures in the 90's the games provided a fun relief from the heat. I did not remain dry, attempting to best the children at squirt guns which escalated to the water balloons.


My thanks and blessings to all of those in the armed services, past and present, for providing the freedom for us to enjoy. 


2. My plan versus God's plan doesn't always match. In 2007 I moved from company A over to company B. The position was brought to my attention through friends of my family. I was hired immediately and enjoyed the new environment. The only caveat was that I was on contract-to-hire after a specified period of time. A couple of months afterward those who hired me were promoted up and out of the department. My option to be hired was changed and that left me as a contractor with no benefits. My plan was not working.


I tried to work with the new department manager but nothing changed. So, I sent out resumes and began looking again. My wife, God's angel, suggested that I contact company A and let them know what had happened. Well, "surprise...surprise," they hired me back! My benefits and pension were not affected because I was gone less than 12 months. I am now planning for my retirement in 2013 and have things under control. Life is good. God's plan was better. Thank you Lord.


3. Bonnie Engstom (Learning To Be A Newlywed) wrote about spiritual gifts the other day. She found a test on the internet, completed it and then told how it related to her life.


I was inspired and went looking for the test. Found it, at least I think it's the same one, at Kodachrom.org. There are a series of 140 questions and then an analysis of your results.


My results, I looked at the top seven, were; hospitality; faith; helps; giving; exhortation; healing and writing. Okay, it would have been nice if "writing" was closer to the top. But, this is just a guide, God did not create the test. The website states that it is just a tool to help us in discovering our true spiritual gifts.


The important thing to remember is that we all have at least one spiritual gift. 1 Peter 4:10 
None of us has all the gifts. 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 And, we do not choose what our gift or gifts are. Only God does this. 1 Corinthians 12:7-11

As I continue to help others, improve my faith and share my beliefs, my true spiritual gifts will be revealed. God will let me know.

4.  Jennifer Fulwiler's "7 Quick Takes" had information on a new book. "The Church and New Media," by Brandon Vogt. This would be worth looking into, so here is the link. http://www.churchandnewmedia.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment