"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, January 26, 2018

A Poem, My Quote & Glen




Deacon Steve gave a great Homily on Sunday’s Gospel, Mark 1:16-20. 
He asked us if we would have “dropped everything” and followed Jesus. 
Would we leave our families, our jobs and our homes. 
If I was Zebedee, how would I have reacted to my sons leaving?  
These are tough questions and they gave me reason to question my journey with Jesus. If He came by my home or stopped in at Church and said, “come after me,” would I follow? A difficult question for me to answer. 

“As he passed by the Sea of Galilee,
he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea;
they were fishermen.
Jesus said to them,
"Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men."
Then they abandoned their nets and followed him.
He walked along a little farther
and saw James, the son of Zebedee, and his brother John.
They too were in a boat mending their nets.
Then he called them.
So they left their father Zebedee in the boat
along with the hired men and followed him.”

********************

 I was thinking, do I have to pay taxes on the days our Government was closed down? Perhaps a letter to my Congressman is in order.

********************

Thursday, January 25th was the Feast of the Conversion of Saint Paul the Apostle. It was also my 71st birthday. An interesting coincidence, which made me take a moment to reflect on my life as a follower of Jesus. Then I read “Gods Word to All” by Beth DeCristofaro over at Your Daily Tripod.”

“Throughout sacred history, God placed people in the places in which they would best fulfill God's will.  They grew in stature as they responded to God's call, at times in spite of themselves.  Moses stuttered, Rebekah and Jacob cheated Esau, Thomas questioned, Paul of course persecuted until he saw the light, "Bill W" gave his alcoholism over to God and co-founded AA.  Reading the lives of the saints with all their warts and foibles allows us to hear "go out to the whole world" and share "My Word" in a new perspective.  Yes, God means me, limitations and all.”

So, for the second time in five days the Gospel has me reflecting on my relationship with God. This was not going to be a normal birthday for me. 

********************

 This is from Shawn MacKenzie’s blog, Dragons Nest. It is an introduction to writer Ursula Le Guin, 1929-2018. Even if you don’t know anything about her, take time to go to his blog. It contains a copy of her speech given at Mills College. The year was 1983, but when you read it, you will think it was written for 2018. 

“There are writers who touch us, who teach us, who look at the world in eye-opening ways. Writers who not only reflect the world we live in but also dare to shape it into something the rest of us mere mortals had not even imagined. And when they are gone, and their voices silenced, there is a hole in the world; we are all the poorer for their passing.”

********************

“Life is not about me,
It is about family and friends.
If I love my family and friends,
Everything will be as God intended.”
     Grandpa Paul

********************

Dee had me read a copy of Mother Teresa’s Poem, “Do It Anyway.” I like it and want to share it, so after viewing a number of websites, I chose this version, which I found at “Turnback To God.”
                 
Do It Anyway
              
“People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.”

********************

 Glen Campbell - “Hey Little One.”




Go over to "This Ain't the Lyceum," where Kelly is hosting more takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment