1. The United States Coast Guard celebrates its 226th year of service. Read more about their history on the “Coast Guard Compass.”
2. From Calvin & Hobbes Daily.
3. “Alone Yet Not Alone” movie review by Jordan Jachim. There are two sections to Jordan’s review about this movie. Part one and part two both contain historical information as well as the “Hollywood interpretation.” The movie takes place during the French and Indian War. The critique is excellent. I enjoy Jordan’s blog because of his love of history and the honesty and details he provides in his reviews.
4. Richmond Spider football begins September 3, 2016 and the Irish Lads begin September 4, 2016. A great weekend of college football.
5. This is from Anthony DeCristofaro at Your Daily Tripod.
"Last week, legendary New Orleans clarinetist Pierre Dewey “Pete” Fountain, Jr., (1930-2016) died. Although there are many Dixieland, jazz and honky-tonk tunes he performed that will remain in my mind, at the top of that list is this one (“Just A Closer Walk with Thee”):"
6. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.”
7. Alan Jackson - "He Stopped Loving Her Today.” I know this is a George Jones tune, but I love Alan’s edition the best.
Go over to "This Ain't the Lyceum,” where Kelly is hosting more takes.