1. Our men’s Cursllio group had a young woman, a parishioner, speak about the “Fellowship of Catholic University Students.” (FOCUS) Her name is Katie, but it is not the same person who talked to us a few weeks ago. Katie is a college graduate who is now devoting her time and talents helping college students at Harvard. She and her ministry team provide support through outreach programs, Bible study and one-on-one mentorship. The program is designed to let students know how they can start or enhance their relationship with God.
Katie’s ministry is her “star” that she follows. I am reminded of Luke’s Gospel;
“The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few;
so ask the master of the harvest
to send out laborers for his harvest.
Go on your way;
behold, I am sending you like lambs among wolves.
Carry no money bag, no sack, no sandals….” Luke 10: 2-4
Our parish is blessed to have young missionaries going forth and sharing our faith. Modern apostles spreading the Word.
These missionaries must raise funds to pay for their salaries. FOCU does not provide any money. So, if you would like to help Katie, please go to “Support A Missionary:" and enter the name “Katie Hillgrove.”
2. January 15, 1972, Don McLean’s, “American Pie” becomes number one on the pop charts.
3. The local schools were closed today because of winter ice. I figured that it was a good excuse to stay home, drink coffee, do some writing and work on my painting.
4. My cardio workouts are nothing like this. I don’t even come close to having the skill to choreograph this type of routine. My only question is how many takes before production?
5. We had a Dee-ism on Sunday. As we were coming out of the Spider basketball game, our sister-in-Christ Jeanine discovered her gloves were missing. We checked my car to see if she left them there, but nope. Then Dee said she would go back in and check around where we were sitting. Nothing. So we got in the car figuring that maybe they were left in Jeanine’s car. Then, Jeanine noticed how similar Dee’s gloves were to ones she couldn’t find. Dee looked closely at the gloves that were are on her hands. Then she looked into her purse and discovered she had put Jeanine’s gloves on …… mystery solved.
6. Roger Miller - “Old Toy Trains.”
7. A short story of typewriter artist Paul Smith and his gift from God.
Read other "Takes" at "This Ain't the Lyceum."