"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, August 29, 2014

My Slow Takes About Peter, Noah, Clay Christensen and Labor Day.

1. Father John presented an interesting Homily last Sunday. The Gospel reading centered on Peter becoming the "rock" of the Church.

“And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. 
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. 
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”  MT 16: 18-19

Our Church was built by Jesus. We do not own the Church but, we are part of it. Jesus laid the foundation and we are the bricks that build upon it. Each of us blending together to support and strengthen it.  And we must continually work to add more bricks, good bricks, so that nothing will “prevail against it.”

2. Dee and I watched the movie Noah, starring Russell Crowe. Although the story line resembled the original it was not Biblically accurate. It's a movie, not a documentary. I have seen many of Russell’s movie's and his acting continues to be excellent. My favorite character was Lia. I have been a fan of Emma Watson all through the Harry Potter films. Her portrayal of the adopted survivor was a demonstration of her ability to communicate true emotions of the character. An outstanding performance.

3. Bill Cosby once did a sketch on Noah. It is original and humorous. 


4. The Battle of Crecy was fought on August 26, 1346 in Northern France. It is the battle of King Edward lll and his English Long Bows against King Philip VI of France. Bernard Cornwell has written an excellent historical fiction trilogy known as the “Grail Quest.” The first novel, "Heretic" includes the Battle of Crecy. (Please note that in the United States, the first novel is entitled, "The Archer's Tale." 


5. I wrote about “The Cat in My Yard” in February. His appearance has been almost nonexistent and I thought that he may have moved on. Last weekend he showed up again. No change in his character. He just wanders in and finds himself a comfortable place to sit and watch for his next meal. 


6. Clay Christensen, a professor at the Harvard Business School. This was sent to me by my brother-in-Christ Mike. It is an interesting point of view on “Religious Freedom.”


7. Next Monday is Labor Day. Please enjoy the day with your family and friends. Also remember it is the day we honor the “contributions and achievements of American workers.”





Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment