"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, January 24, 2014

My Slow Takes (Vol. 130)

1. I have written about my cowboy heroes more than once on this blog. Last week I received an email from my wife Dee. It was a YouTube video about The Lone Ranger. A great story told by Jay Thomas and one that I have watched many times.


2. Dawn Moore is the daughter of the actor Clayton Moore. She wrote an article about Jay Silverheels, the actor who played Tonto. She wrote about what Jay accomplished as a Native American.

“If one wants to look for negative stereotypes, they are easily found. Certainly, in the insensitive decades during which the scripts for The Lone Ranger were written, it is bitingly evident. However, endless tributes from Native Americans about the lessons of tolerance and pride of heritage prove that Jay Silverheels made a difference. By conducting his life with a strong grace and profound nobility, he walked the walk.”
3. The “Polar Vortex Part Deux.” This whirling mass of snow is like a “Frost Giant” from Dungeons and Dragons. Charging down from the north with his snow axe. Swinging and spreading snow, ice and freezing winds. Impervious to magic swords and wizard spells. I sit in my chateau, protected by my armor of wool and my elixir of black coffee. Safe from the frigid 12 degree temperature outside. I know that it’s just a matter of out-waiting the beast. Soon, “Sunbringer,” she who wields the sword, Meltan, will arrive. She will clear the snow and ice and stop the freezing winds. She will send the winter beast back to the north   

4. Peter, Paul and Mary were part of the folk-singing era that I grew up in. I loved their music and still enjoy listening to it. This is one of my favorites that we used to sing when our friends gathered. There was always one or two guitars present to accompany the not so melodious voices.  


5. I was never a fan of basketball, but Dee and I have been attending more of the Richmond Spiders games this season. The game has become more interesting, especially those that are close. The last two games against Dayton and the University of Massachusetts were exciting. Both games 73-64 and 58-55 were wins that kept my heart pumping. Go Spiders!  

6. Margaret is a patient at Brandermill Woods Health Care Center. I met her Thursday morning as part of my Communion Service for our church. She is a lovely lady in her mid eighties and suffers from dementia. I spent some time talking and listening to her after this mornings readings. Margaret feels alone and confused. Please say a prayer for her that she will retain her faith and realize that she is loved and not alone.

7. Today is the memorial of Saint Frances de Sales, my patron saint. Born August 16, 1567 in Chateau de, Sales, France. Joined our Father on December 28, 1622.

“Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.”


Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment