1. “Unfettered” is a collection of short stories featuring the following science fiction and fantasy authors. Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Jacqueline Carey, Naomi Novik, R. A. Salvatore, Peter V. Brett, Mark Lawrence, David Anthony Durham and Shawn Speakman.
Buying the book is an opportunity to help Shawn Speakman. He has accumulated a large medical debt from treatment of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Terry Brooks offered and donated a short story that Shawn could sell to help pay his medical bills. Through Terry’s suggestion, Shawn asked other authors if they would donate stories. What came together is an unusual selection of stories all in one book.
I loved the book because it put together some of the best fantasy and science fiction writers into one place. It was an introduction to different worlds, different times, adventure and surprises. Most important it shows how friends come together when help is needed.
2. My nephew Matthew has enlisted in the United States Navy. He scored high in the testing part of the enlistment process. That allowed him to choose his area of study which will be the nuclear program. He is my sister Kim’s oldest and we are all very proud of him.
3. The Richmond Spiders start their season this Saturday. They will be playing VMI at home.
4. My other favorite team, Notre Dame, also start their season this Saturday. They will be playing Temple at home.
5. A photo of JJ's Tiki Bar from our wine tasting gathering last Friday.
6. “As long as you notice, and have to count the steps, you are not yet dancing but only learning how to dance. A good shoe is a shoe you don’t notice. Good reading becomes possible when you do not consciously think about eyes, or light, or print or spelling. The perfect liturgy would be one we were almost unaware of; our attention would have been on God.”
7. The 4th Independent Maryland State Troops, 1776. The unit took part in the following engagements. New Jersey 1777, Defense of Philadelphia, Defense of the Carolina's, Yorktown and Greene’s Campaign. One of the reasons I painted the unit was the unusual purple color of the dyed linen hunting shirts. Figures are Old Glory Miniatures.
Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.