1. Tuck at the Denbigh Church of Christ wrote about a new acronym “MTD.” It is from Kenda Creasy Dean’s book, “Almost Christian.” I have not read the book but found her acronym to be interesting.
MTD is Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. Kenda claims that many American churches teach this and that is not really Christianity. Moralistic means that we believe we are basically good. Therapeutic because if we are good, then we feel better about ourselves. Deism is God sitting back and letting us do our thing. I have some friends who follow this model.
Kenda has some thoughts of how to deal with MTD. Please take some time to read about here.
2. Tesla Motors showed off it’s first new Model S electric luxury sedan on June 22, 2012. The US Government has rated it at up to 265 miles per charge for the high end model. The standard model has a range of 160 miles if you maintain a constant speed of 55 miles per hour. Cost for the base model is $57,400 plus delivery of $990.00. You read more about it at USA Today.
3. I’ve been watching the NBC’s Today show for many years. Jane Pauley, Deborah Norville, Katie Couric, Meridth Vieira and Ann Curry. On Thursday Ann Curry left for a new gig within the NBC organization. This seems to be the standard change process from NBC. They have always had excellent women on the program. Each one was different and brought their own style which added to the morning show. Thank you Ann Curry, I will miss your morning smile.
4. The Supreme Court released it’s ruling on the health care law. Read the details at online Wall Street Journal. They decided “Congress was acting within its powers under the Constitution.” It was upheld as a tax. Very interesting, didn’t we have an issue with unpopular taxes in 1776?
5. Jesus said to his disciples:"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be." (Matthew 6:19-21)
Treasures are changing for me. Those material things are becoming more “things” that seem to accumulate. So I am trying to reduce what I acquire and share what I have. It is more fun watching the surprise look in those receiving my gift. They treasure it more because it comes from me. My heart feels good. Their heart feels good knowing that they can repeat this process passing on to others.
6. An update from “The Black Biretta: Vatican declares Archbishop Fulton to be Venerable.”
7. I'm waiting for the L.L. Bean, men's Allagash Bison hand sewn shoes to go on sale again.