"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, September 28, 2012

My Slow Takes (Vol. 67)


1. PCs vs Macs: How they stack up by Kim Komando, Special for USA TODAY

2. I received a new bottle of wine from our “adopted” son Patrick. It is a Luc Pirlet, Pinot Noir 2010. My assignment is to slowly drink the wine and determine what I taste. What fruit is there? Is there a slight taste of spice or wood flavor? We’ll see this weekend.

3. It was a good weekend for college football. University of Richmond won over Georgia State; Notre Dame had a “not to pretty” win over Michigan and Virginia Tech embarrassed Bowling Green.

4. We were discussing change the other night at our men’s group. Some of the fellows were concerned that the world has been changing and we are getting to the point where it could end. War, economic disaster, a solar storm, maybe zombie’s. (Not really.) Anyway our brother-in-Christ, Dick reminded us that there has always been change and it has always worked out for the better. His faith is stronger than ours and we are blessed to have him in our group.   

5. FedEx delivered my new iPhone on Tuesday. Well, sort of. The box was empty. It had been re-taped and fortunately the driver made a note of it. So my iPhone box arrived and now I’m working with FedEx on a claim and Verizon for a replacement.

6. A correction from my last blog. I misspelled my granddaughters name, it was supposed to be Ekaterina, not Katerina. Not a good thing for Grandpa to do.

7. This morning Melanie Rigney wrote about today’s reading from Ecclesiastes. It fits well into the “change discussion” we had at our men’s group meeting. “We turn over control and worry and fear. We know He’s coming back. We don’t know when. All we can do is to do as He asked: Love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves. It’s always time to obey the two greatest commandments.”

3 comments:

  1. I call mine quick takes, but they're pretty darn slow. I just like words too much. :)

    As for #4: while it's *always* good to have brothers and sisters in Christ to redirect our minds when we get a bit off course - after all, we're told not to worry, right? - I'd hesitate to say that someone's faith is "stronger" than yours. Faith is complex. Believing all things at all times is difficult. Perhaps you just have a different perspective on faith, and God is giving you others to help enhance that - I'm certain your faith is also a help to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I don't get too far off course. God always seems to provide the necessary assistance just when it's needed.
      You make a excellent point. My faith is based on my experience with God. It's not the same nor necessarily less or more than someone else's.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Re #2: that osunds like a good plan to me!

    Re #4: I think that way sometimes, too, and I have to keep reminding myself that people have always thought the world was ending, that it couldn't possibly survive, yet here we are. I read an Henri Nouwen quote lately that I think of often, to the effect that the world has always been dark and it's going to remain so; joy comes in focusing beyond that.

    ReplyDelete