"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, September 7, 2012

My Slow Takes (Vol. 64)


1. These pictures are of one of my AWI British Artillery Limber units. The manufacturer is “Hinchliffe.” 



2. The Buffalo, New York area has fine foods not found in Richmond, Virginia. One of those is the Friday fish fry. Growing up in Buffalo this was the normal Friday dinner for Catholics. On this trip our friends Kathy and Rich took us to Mackenzie's Bar and Grill, Hamburg, NY. It was excellent!

3. On Saturday Rich and I ate lunch at J.P. Fitzgerald’s Irish Pub. Guinness and a “beef on weck.” Life is grand.

4. Dee and I attended church at St. Mary’s in Strykersville, N.Y. A beautiful little church in a quaint country town. We met Father Matthew who was surprised and pleased that we chose his church for Sunday worship.

Me After Mass
5. We need prayers for Dee’s ninety year old Mom, Lucy. She is suffering from osteoarthritis.  

6. In Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” there is a description of the eating habits of Hobbits. “They would enjoy at least seven meals a day, breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and (late in the evening) supper.” Very similar to my eating habits when I vacation at the Outer Banks.

7. On Thursday the 6th, USA Today had an article written by John Waggoner that discussed treasures in your attic and other places. One of the things that caught my attention was the information on original newspaper comic art. A “Calvin and Hobbes” original supposedly was going to auction for $125,000. I don’t have any originals, but my son Eric and I have all the books that Bill Watterson produced. It is our favorite comic strip and we were both disappointed when Bill retired. 




No comments:

Post a Comment