"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, December 9, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 28)


1. Saturday was our family Christmas gathering. Our sons have their wives families to visit so we find it easier to share Christmas with our family early.

Dee and her Mom put together the main dinner and the caught-in-laws prepare the afternoon hors d'oeuvres. Everyone pitching in to make the day enjoyable.

We eat, sing Christmas songs, eat, open presents, tell stories, eat, share Christmas memories,  and eat some more. I'm sure that I added a couple of pounds by the end of the day.

The grandchildren enjoy being together and Dee is always tells them the reason we celebrate Christmas. Each year they have a better understanding, so she is laying the foundation for their  spiritual journeys.

2. I've added some new links this week. They are blogs involved with history and historical miniatures. A hobby that I have enjoyed since I was, well, it's been a long time. I started with the old Marx collections and then moved to the "lead" figures. Today my collection of figures includes the American Revolutionary and French and Indian War periods. 

I belong to the Historical Miniature Gaming Society (HMGS) and attend the annual conventions. Dee joins me when I go to Lancaster, PA and manages to find time to shop the outlets.

3. Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes in a number of old films. I have seen many of them and enjoyed the characters and plots. His roles as a "swashbuckler" were my favorite movies.

A new Sherlock Holmes has appeared and has taken the role of Sherlock to a different level. He is Robert Downey Jr. and he portrays a unique character that is "quirky," extremely intelligent  and always one step ahead of his adversaries.  The first movie was great and I'm looking forward to seeing the second one.  

4. The newest release of "Tour of Duty, Modern Warfare III" has passed the $1 Billion dollar mark. It's hard for me to comprehend that a computer game is able to generate that much business. Perhaps I am in the wrong occupation.

5. I love honey, especially on toast and in a hot cup of tea. Bees produce honey and beekeepers gather it, bottle it up and we then we buy it off the shelf. So, I was quite surprised to learn that honey may or may not be real honey. "Relax, Folks It Really Is Honey After All."

1 comment:

  1. Sir, thank you for reminding about that new Sherlock Holmes movie. I like Robert Downey and detective stories both.

    And have you heard of World of Warcraft? That is a pretty massively popular game too.

    Have a merry Christmas.

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete