"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 20)

1. I went to Cub Scouts Monday night with our grandson Conner. His father had to go out of town and asked me to fill-in for him. I'm not sure who was more excited, Conner or me. This was Spaceship Derby night and Conner had his red space ship with yellow flames ready to go. 


The derby was a fun activity, no winners and no losers. Conner's ship didn't make it to the end, but it did fly. There were about 50 cub scouts participating and each spaceship was different. Watching the boys cheering each time a group of spaceships took off brought back memories of when I was a Den Leader. I'm looking forward to attending the Pinewood Derby.


2. We went to see "Courageous" last weekend. The movie was very good and provided an excellent Christian message. I suggest that everyone see it and reflect on the message.


3. Thursday, Tuck @ Denbigh Church of Christ, had a great message. 


"While it is not enough for us to be "pretty good people," our Christian faith must lead us to live in the world of non-believers in a that "will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life" (Phil 2:15-16). It is not enough for us to be a pretty good person, but if we don't live so that the people around us see us as a pretty good person, then we more or less invalidate our belief that Jesus makes a difference."


I have been in the "I'm a pretty good person" mode. It was very easy for me to look at others and convince myself I was doing the right things. But, I wasn't and have since learned how important it is to have Jesus in my life. I'm getting better.


4. Dee finished painting the bedroom this week. It's a beautiful blue, dark but not too dark. We work as team, I do the prep work and cleanup and she paints. The work is always completed in a timely manner and we share in the finished product.


Next are the accessories that have to completed. Friends of ours provided an old cast iron bed frame that Dee is going to paint white. Then there are pictures and some type of dresser that will hold the television for the room.


5. Autumn is moving into the coloring of the trees. The time when the vibrant colors of orange and red start dotting the woods. It is a beautiful time of the year and I enjoy the cool mornings and non humid days.


Now I have to start raking the leaves as they cover the lawn like a brown, tan and yellow blanket preparing for winter. The exercise is good and I enjoy talking with my neighbors as they tend to their lawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment