"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Slow Takes (vol. 15)


1. "If there is any encouragement in Christ, any solace in love, any participation in the Spirit, any compassion and mercy,
     complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love, united in heart, thinking one thing.
     Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory; rather humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
     each looking out not for his own interests, but also everyone for those of others."  Philippians 2:1-4

When we are selfish, when we don't look out for our brothers and sisters we are not walking in the spiritual path. I spent a week with eight other people and my wife. We shared a home at the beach. We shared cooking, talking, laughing and crying. It was a week of love and joy. We became closer as friends, strengthening our love of Christ and of one another. I am thankful that He has changed my life. 

2. One of my co-workers has been keeping tabs on the various candidates running for office of the President. Apparently he is not fond of Rick Perry and his views on religion. He quoted the phrase about "separation of church and state." This brought to mind something I had read on President Jefferson. In 1802 he wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association. In the letter he used the statement, "wall of separation between church and state." It appears that this is where "separation of church and state" comes from. It is not in the First Amendment. 

Many people have taken this statement as being law and it really isn't. So, saying prayers in public places such as schools, sports events, etc. should not be an issue. "Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.." I am not a lawyer but it seems that if I want to pray at a public place, I am exercising my freedom of religion.  

Just my two cents.

3. When I made my confirmation God blessed me by providing Sister Regina Paul. She was short in stature but tall in faith. She taught me how important faith is and to trust in God. She lived the things she taught. A beautiful follower of God that now resides with Him.


Last night I met another woman tall in faith. She has gone through divorce, job loss and family issues. She made her weekend, became a team member for another weekend and completed college. She has touched and helped others, as was indicated by the affirmations after her talk. 


She has had a difficult journey, one that saw changes and improvement in her life. Her smile and mannerisms are contagious and makes people feel like there is nothing that can't be accomplished as long as you have faith. God has blessed her and He has blessed us by having her as part of our community. And like Sister Regina, she lives the things she teaches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment