Jennifer Fulwiler, Conversion Diary, and Trisha Niermeyer, Prints of Grace, write "7 Quick Takes Friday." Both of these women have been writing a long time and I enjoy their blogs. I am starting my variation of their theme which I hope you will enjoy.
1. I attended a talk by the Reverend Ben Campbell of Richmond Hill. He started his discussion with the reading from Mark, Chapter 1:15, "This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."
Rev. Ben suggests that Jesus means that the kingdom of God is now, not just in the next life. We should be doing things now, loving each other, helping each other and learning to live with another. If everyone could do this there would be a more peaceful relationship between people.
There is an excellent article written by Scott Bass of "Style Weekly." The title is "Bridge Work," and be found at Styleweekly.com. Scott provides information on all the work Rev. Ben has done and what he is attempting to do.
2. Went to the Outer Banks the last week in May. The weather was excellent and the beach relaxing. I read, ate delicious food, drank wine, painted figures, went shopping, and climbed both the Currituck and Hatteras Lighthouses. I gained about five pounds but enjoyed the vacation. This is an annual trip that has been going on for the last six years. It has become my favorite vacation place.
3. I purchased a beautiful curio cabinet from Izzie's, a consignment shop in Midlothian.The inventory changes as people bring in their furniture and related goods. It's fun to browse and the pricing structure provides an opportunity to get great deals.
The cabinet is a walnut color, has glass on three sides with a mirror on the back. There are three glass shelves that can be placed at different heights. I am using the cabinet to display some of my historical figures. My wife Dee selected the second floor alcove for placement which of course is perfect.
4. Pictionary is a board game that is similar to Charades. The difference is that you must draw the word instead of acting it out. This is where the fun is as most of us are not capable of drawing such things as a sundress, shrew or picnic. There is a time limit and you can't use numbers or letters. But the fun is in trying to guess what is being drawn as fast as possible.
Last Saturday night we enjoyed playing Pictionary with three other couples. It was "guys" versus "girls" and we managed to pull out a win.
We followed that game with a couple of rounds of Catch Phrase. This is another team type game where each team must guess the phrase or sometimes just the word. It is an electronic game with a "beeping" timer. Each person takes the device gets his or her team to guess the phrase and then passes it on to the next person. The next person gets a new phrase and repeats the process. This continues until the "buzzer" sounds. It is a fast moving game with a plethora of phrases that challenges everyone. This is always fun and gets everyone laughing.
5. Friday is my breakfast at Panera Bread day. A while back a friend showed up that I hadn't seen for awhile. He said he was meeting with a group that shows up on the first Friday of each month. So, I made sure to arrive early those Fridays and we started eating breakfast together. He is now showing up on a regular basis. I know that this is not a coincidence, just another one of God's whisper moments.